New York, NY - Singer-actor Steven Brinberg, in his alter ego as Simply Barbra — Streisand, that is — performed at Birdland Jazz Club on Sept. 9. With a salute to Maestro Marvin Hamlisch.
Steven Brinberg performed many times with Marvin Hamlisch during his symphony appearances.
Remembering Marvin Hamlisch: The following are instructions from Marvin Hamlisch’s notes for his appearances with Steven Brinberg and Julie Budd:
At Marvin’s request: this should be a surprise to the audience.
- Mr. Brinberg usually enters stage till the top of Act Two.
- Marvin speaks a little about not being able to do this evening without…thinking of…Barbra Streisand.
- Then he plays the intro to THE WAY WE WERE which Mr. Brinberg hums off stage and enter humming more of.
- Both will talk briefly and do a song selection (usually performed with the orchestra.)
- Some more talk and in the banter is suggested that both do something at the piano.
- Then follows another selection, with both singing the last note.
WATCH: Video of Marvin Hamlisch and Steven Brinberg performing with The Seattle Symphony:
Pippin’s Erik Altemus joins Steven Brinberg for Simply Barbra’s Marvin Hamlisch Tribute
The evening, which paid tribute to late Tony-winning composer Marvin Hamlisch, also featured Erik Altemus, who plays Lewis in the award-winning Broadway revival of Pippin. Show time is 7 PM.
WATCH You Don’t’ Bring Me Flowers (By Simply Barbra — During visit to Australia)
Brinberg, who performed in numerous concerts with the A Chorus Line composer, offered some Hamlisch rarities, including songs from The Fan and Imaginary Friends, as well as songs of his that Streisand made famous.
Brinberg follows Birdland with a run in London at the Crazy Coqs cabaret in Piccadilly Circus, Oct. 1–5.
WATCH: The Way We Were, by Simply Barbra:
Steven Brinberg has performed his Streisand impersonation on stages in Atlantic City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Houston and the U.K. He recently completed a sold-out tour of the U.K. and the West End, following record-breaking runs at London’s Playhouse and Jermyn Street theatres. Brinberg is the winner of the MAC Award and the Bistro Award for his Simply Barbra performances. He also appeared in the workshops of Ken Page’s musical Nightlife and can be heard on “Simply Barbra Duets.”
WATCH VIDEO CLIPS: (Includes Short video of Marvin Hamlisch and Steven Brinberg)
For more information visit Simply Barbra